On a plaque set into the base of the Memorial is inscribed:
It contains two sections which read:
The dark tartans worn by the men of these companies to distinguish them from the 'Red Soldiers' led to them becoming known as 'Freiceadan Dubh' or 'The Black Watch'.
These companies were disbanded in 1717 and started up again in 1725. Starting out as the 43rd Regiment of the line it became the 42nd Highland Regiment in 1749 on the reduction of the original 42nd Regiment.
In 1970 the Regiment was given the freedom of the Burgh of Aberfeldy.
It should have been set up on the actual site of the original 'muster' in 1740 on the opposite side of the River Tay. However, the area was subject to flooding and the nearest practical site was chosen instead.
The Monument - depicting a soldier wearing the old regimental uniform - cost about £500, which was raised by public subscription.
In 1910 lightning split the structure from top to bottom. The repairs and installation of a lightning conductor cost £200.
The beautiful, small Highlands town of Aberfeldy is on the A827 road about 25 miles north-west of Perth. The River Tay, flowing out from Loch Tay, runs eastwards through the town itself.
© Karl Murray: September, 1996
Return to main page